Wednesday, October 10, 2007

Taos Magic

There are times when life hands you gifts, gifts so beautiful that you wonder what you've done to deserve them and you vow to be a better person for the rest of your life. This is what I felt like last weekend. We were thinking about driving to see a friend's fantastic film - Dalai Lama Renaissance - in the Taos Mountain Film Festival. All resentment about the 9 hour drive evaporated when our friend said these magic words: "By the way, there's a wool festival in the park right next to the film festival."

So we were off to spend the weekend looking at films wool! Here are few images:

good husband carrying off some of my purchases

local emergency service men clustered around a spinner

awe-inspiring plant-dyed yarns from Earth-Arts

The plant-dyed yarns were the surprise treasure of the festival. Although I went absolutely ga ga over all the handspun alpaca that was there, I went all out for the naturally dyed wools. I came home with these beauties:

The weekend wore out my driving stamina and my shopping stamina -- expect a yarn moratorium for a while now. But I'm totally invigorated for learning about the west (Taos is gorgeous!) and for checking out all the fiber arts that are going on here.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hanna, the photos are absolutely luscious! What a wonderful experience you must have had.

I love the Southwest personally; I hope you will come to really enjoy it there.

Jill said...

What luck! :D Glad you found the wool fair--how great is that? Love your natural dyed yarns...they are to die for!

Anonymous said...

how lucky! A day made for you!
-Gustavo

Anonymous said...

When next you go to Taos, check out the Taos Sunflower yarn shop!