Tuesday, March 16, 2010

the vest step

I bound off the collar last night, prematurely, to get a sense of how it was laying. The cardigan still needs sleeves, obviously, but here's what it looks like with the shoulders grafted, the bottom border re-knit, and half the collar:


Mountain Man commented that I could just stop here and wear it as a vest. I'm tempted to follow the suggestion, as I'm getting tired of the project and am dreading the process of adjusting the sleeve caps to fit my armscye modifications. Also, it's pushing 80 degrees, and a wool/mohair cardigan seem rather unseasonable.

BUT. sigh. I don't like the flare of the button band.


The extra volume of the garter stitch makes sense around the neck, as it's supposed to be able to fold over into a shawl collar. But, down at the bottom, it ends up making waist-coat points, which are really not my thing.

This aspect didn't seem so noticeable in all the other versions I saw on Ravelry; maybe once you've got the full width of the collar, with more overlap of the sides, the points aren't so pronounced. Or maybe .... gulp .... I've got to re-knit the collar with fewer stitches picked up at the bottom! Stay tuned ...

9 comments:

Maria said...

Ooooh, I love it just as it is! I would definitely wear a summer vest like that!

Sarah {The Student Knitter} said...

Maybe just a little aggressive blocking at the bottom will take care of it? looks awfully pretty!

Amybel said...

I agree, blocking will probably help!

P.S. Saw your cake on Ravelry. Happy Birthday!

yahaira said...

ooo I love it as is! would it be useful to you as a vest? if so I would definitely keep it as such.

Delly said...

I agree with all the ladies above. It looks very nice as it and it'll be nice in this weather! Though one thing to remember is if you are not happy with it... will you wear it?

Turtle said...

i agree with hubby. i like the light flowy-ness of it right now. It looks light and very organic this way!

Blair McLeod said...

i'm so jealous!! i wish i could knit like that!

i saw your comment on naturally nina and thought i would pop over to say hi.

i'd love for you to pop over to my place too! i've got a giveaway right now for some earrings by an etsy designer. i'd love for you to enter.

have a great night!

kathy b said...

Now I see it!

The bottom band is a bit off. Happy Birthday late, sorry it was an off day. Birthdays are a week long for me! Finally I love your necklace in the shot.

Abigail said...

leave it as a vest!!!!!! and dont block it either. I like how it has personality :)