Monday, September 23, 2013

kayak/knitting

On our last Maine day, Mountain Man and I rented kayaks.  We paddled all afternoon from Boothbay Harbor out to the Spectacle Islands and up to our friends' bed-and-breakfast on Hodgdon Island.  It was a sparkling day -- clear light, blue sky, yellow kayaks. 


Our lunch break on the Spectacle Islands was utterly charming.  We pulled our kayaks up onto the pebble beach, went beach-combing around the island, watched a seagull eat a crab, spotted an osprey, and napped in the moss under the pines.


And ... of course ... pulled out wool and needles for a little peaceful knitting.  Here's what I've been working on:  a very simple sweater in rustic gray wool. It's knit from the bottom-up. No pattern. I'm just kinda/sorta making it up as I go along, with ribbing and waist shaping and rough plans for a wide button band and shawl collar.

Blending in with the Maine pebbles 



Next to feet for scale 



What it looks like as the start of a sweater


 The yarn is sportweight Merino-Rambouillet yarn from Marr Haven, which I bought in a cone a few years ago and am finally getting around to knitting.  It's a wonderful yarn. It's mule spun, giving it bounce and elasticity. Minimally processed, giving it a soft hand and natural color and earthy aroma.

I really hope this off-the-cuff sweater works out. Not all my improvisations do ... and I could always unravel it if it doesn't ... but I love to think that the infusion of sunshine and saltwater will be part of this garment's story if it does work out.


Here's our last Maine experience. Kayaking up to a country store for lobster rolls! 

2 comments:

Acorn to Oak said...

Gorgeous photos of a spectacular day!

Lori ann said...

wow! what a great trip! can't wait to see your sweater too!