Thursday, June 26, 2014

roots, leaves, and shawl

a.k.a. madder status! I've got a jarful of dried madder roots, tucked away on a shelf for the season ...


... and a barrel-ful of madder plants, which regrew so fast after the harvest that it's overtaken this corner of the garden once again ...


... and a madder-dyed shawl on my knitting needles. Not from my own madder, since this spring got away from me and I never managed to haul out the ol' dye kettle. But honestly this is even better: a vibrant semi-solid yarn from A Verb for Keeping Warm.


I'm using it to knit yet another Vermont Shawl.  And the most fabulous news of all is that I'll have a chance to finish it when I'm back in my beloved Vermont for the summer! Road trip to come ... 

1 comment:

KiniaCat Crafts said...

I thought of you today as I was reading "Navajo Weaving Way, The Path from Fleece to Rug". Chapter 2, "Notes on Navajo Dyes", has some interesting info about natural dyes, mordants, and which dyes fade. Have you already seen that book?
I hope life is treating you well!